Assignment 2: Project Paper – Comparative
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Due Week 4 and worth 200 points
This “Assignment 2” writing assignment is a comparative essay focused on
topics encountered in our HUM 111 class. The project will be based on research
but will reflect your views and interpretation of the topic. This project is
designed to help you stretch your mind and your abilities as an organized,
innovative, and critical thinker. If approached properly, it should also be
Choose one (1) of the topics from the list of topic choices below. Read the
topic carefully. Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (750-1,000 words) that
follows instructions and covers each part of the topic. (The title page and
References list do not get included in this word count).
Note: Your instructor may require you to submit your topic
choice for approval before the end of Week 5.
For the topic you choose:
- Establish a clear thesis about your topic as part of the introductory
paragraph (often the thesis is the last thing one determines after doing the
basic research and outline; however it will be placed in the first paragraph of
- This is a comparative essay. Comparison approached properly will require
some critical thinking on your part. Use a point-by-point approach for the
essay. That means, if comparing subject A with subject B, don’t do the first
half of the essay on subject A and then the second half on subject B–that will
seem like two (2) separate essays and comparisons will tend to get lost.
Instead, you should be mentioning both subjects in most of your paragraphs as
you compare them throughout the essay. Comparisons will identify similarities as
well as contrasts.
- Do not try to do everything on your two (2) subjects. You should end up
narrowing your focus to a few insights and issues about the subjects being
compared. And, from those fairly specific points of comparison, you will develop
a thesis and glean some lessons.
- Follow closely the instructions below for your specific topic.
- Include a concluding paragraph at the end. This paragraph will, in some way,
refer back to the thesis established in your first paragraph, since now you have
demonstrated and supported it. It may be here that you also include your
observations relating your study to the modern workplace or society (see your
topic). Try to finish with flair!
- Use at least three (3) good quality academic sources, with one (1) source
being the class text. Note: Wikipedia and other
similar Websites do not qualify as academic resources. You are highly encouraged
to use the Resource Center tab at the top of your Blackboard page.
The Project Paper will be graded on:
- The level to which the instructions were followed for the paper generally
and for the specific topic.
- The establishment of a clear thesis about your topic.
- The adequacy and relevance of information, examples, and details which
support the general thesis.
- Covering each part of the topic as instructed, including the comparisons,
the consideration of ancient cultural differences, and the reflection on lessons
for modern society or the modern workplace.
- The quality of your research and your persuasiveness using critical
- The use and acknowledgement of a minimum of three (3) required references
(the class textbook plus at least two (2) other quality academic sources)
documented using the APA style –including both the use of a proper References
list and the use of proper in-text citations.
- Adherence to standard rules of grammar, punctuation, paragraphing, and
mechanics, and general clarity of presentation.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides. Both in-text citations and a References list are required.
Citations and references must follow APA style format. Check with your professor
for any additional instructions specific to the selected topic.
(Note: Students can find APA style materials located in the
course shell for guidance).
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required page length. For our
purposes, you may omit any abstract page.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to
- Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic
expressions within a historical context.
- Examine the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and
socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.
- Identify major historical developments in world cultures during the eras of
antiquity to the Renaissance.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the study of
- Write clearly and concisely about world cultures using proper writing
Comparing Ancient Female Rulers.
Compare the Tang Empress Wu Zetian (also known as Empress Wu or as Wu Zhao;
ruled China around 690-705 AD) with either the Pharaoh Cleopatra (ruled Egypt
around 51-31 BC) or the Pharaoh Hatshepsut (ruled Egypt around 1478-1458 BC).
You may also propose (for approval or not) a female ruler not listed. Avoid
lengthy quoting or lengthy close paraphrasing from biographical sources. Make it
YOUR comparative analysis. Your paper should:
a) Compare the two (2) rulers in terms of their
situation and ascent to power, their methods of rule, and their achievements and
resourcefulness, noting similarities and differences. Use specific examples.
b) Consider what your study suggests about the
cultures over which they ruled, identifying any similarities and differences
between the cultures.
c) From this comparison, suggest lessons about
different types of effective leadership by a female in the world of modern
business and / or modern politics.