EACH DISCUSSION POST MUST HAVE AT LEAST 2 PERR REVIEWED SOURCES
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Advanced Generalist Social Work Skills
According to Krogsrud Miley, O’Melia, and DuBois (2017), key social work skills include genuineness, trustworthiness, acceptance, and respect. These basic and essential skills are applied throughout the engagement process with clients.
Krogsrud Miley, O’Melia, and DuBois also discuss methods to construct empowering relationships such as the following: recognizing rights, taking responsibility, avoiding dual relationships, discussing rights and responsibilities, augmenting power, and respecting confidentiality.
For this discussion, imagine you are developing a group for substance-abusing teens. Seventeen-year-old Kali from the Campbell Family Case Study (linked in this unit) is one of the group members. She is very resistant to attending the group, as the time interferes with her social schedule. She is also concerned about the lack of confidentiality within her peer group.
For this discussion, reflect upon how it looks and feels like as a social worker to use key social work skills and methods to construct an empowering relationship:
- Identify at least one of the social work skills you would adapt and use in this situation (genuineness, trustworthiness, acceptance, or respect). Give an example on how you would demonstrate that skill.
- Identify one of the methods identified in this unit’s readings to construct an empowering relationship (recognizing rights, taking responsibility, avoiding dual relationships, discussing rights and responsibilities, augmenting power, and respecting confidentiality). Discuss how you would apply this method to Kali’s group.
Respond to at least one peer and provide support for the method selected or provide an alternative with evidence of why this would be an effective alternative.
Miley, K. K., O’Melia, M. W., & DuBois, B. L. (2017). Generalist social work practice: An empowering approach(8th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson. ISBN: 9780133948271.
Technology and Social Justice
For this discussion, describe a social justice issue and what technology you could use to address it.
- What are some technological tools you could use to address the issue?
- What are some potential barriers?
- How do you plan to address those potential barriers?
Support your conclusions by citing resources.