Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Project Background: This project will consist of two parts in which you will apply what you learned in this unit regarding early humans and civilization. You will also demonstrate and apply what you learned about conducting a proper research and selecting and using reliable sources to support your thesis and main ideas.
- Choose a current modern civilization that still exists, is well-known, and is thriving in today’s world.
- Choose an ancient civilization that you learned about in this unit.
- Conduct extensive research on both civilizations using the textbook and at least two outside reliable sources. (For ancient civilizations, you may review the Mesopotamians, Mayans, Egyptians, Indus, etc. from the lesson.)
- Write a report for both civilizations answering the following questions. Each question must be answered in three to six complete sentences. Use in-text citations to properly cite each source from your research.
- Correct all spelling and grammatical errors.
1. The Indus civlization was quite developed. (Smith, 13) An online journalist stated the civilization in the United States is by far one of the most advanced to come along. (Brown, History.com)
Ancient civilization source used: Print source with known author: Smith, James. Tracing History: Origins of Civilization. Berkeley: U of California P, 2001. Print
Modern civilization source used: Electronic online source: Brown, William, A. A. (2015, November 1). Title of article. Title of Newspaper. Retrieved from
Click on these web links for more useful ways to use in-text citations and create a Works Cited page:
Now, that you are ready to use in-text citations, lets get started!
Answer the following questions. Remember to write three to six complete sentences for each questions. Use in-text citations for your sources. Double check your work to correct any spelling or grammatical errors.
1. Cities: Consider organization, size, and infrastructure, such as roads or sewers. Compare these features between the modern civilization and ancient civilization you selected for this assignment. How are they similar? How are they different? Use examples from each civilization. Explain your answer in detail.
2. Agriculture: Describe the agriculture of both the modern civilization and the ancient civilization. Think about irrigation systems used, if any, workers, food produced and the animals used for production. Explain your answer in detail.
3. Government: What kind of government did both civilizations have? Was it organized? Did they have a legal system? If so, was it strong, weak, just, fair, etc. Explain your answer in detail.
4. Society: Does the modern civilization have a fair society? Did the ancient civilization have a fair society? Consider how those on trial were treated? Are there any systems of laws? What do you think about those laws? How are women treated? Is there opportunity for advancement in society?
5. Inventions: Make a list of the top five inventions or innovations from all of the civilizations. Inventions could be cultural things such as writing, mathematics or calendar systems along with tools or objects. Briefly describe the inventions and why you think they were important. Were they useful? Did they promote progress, enhance daily life, increase human productivity, etc.? Explain your answer in detail.
You will write a 500-word essay paper comparing the ancient civilization to the modern civilization. Here are some points to consider while completing this essay:
- Focus especially on the similarities between your two civilizations and what this means about civilization as a whole. Consider your answers for part one of this project.
- Discuss significant differences and how they lend nuance to our ideas of what civilization means, but do not bother mentioning obvious or irrelevant differences.
- Choose three points of comparison, similarities or differences, for your body paragraphs. Consider your answers for part one.
- Avoid an essay structure that lists all similarities in one paragraph and all differences in another. Instead choose sub topics to focus on and discuss how each civilization is similar or different. You will have to use your understanding of the development of civilizations and the factors that contributed to their development and sustainability.
- Use at least two sources, in-text citations and create a Works Cited page. Submit both parts on the same document, and label each part of the project.
- Click on the link in the Red Box to view the Project Rubrics for this project.
- In the final paragraph of your essay, come to a meaningful conclusion about the true meaning of civilization.
This is your first research project for this course. Be sure to clearly distinguish your own ideas from ideas you read while researching. Your research needs to include both your textbook and outside resources such as books or websites. You need at least two resources besides your textbook, although more will lend strength to your argument. Make sure that your sources are credible! Wikipedia will not be acceptable for this project.
You may use the online textbook, notes, or internet during your research. This paper must be written in MLA style, with at least 500 words, using strong, supportive details and examples.
Keep in mind, you will first learn about using MLA style writing within the first lesson, but refer to the following website for additional help: